Saturday, October 27, 2007

I cannot, simply cannot read a word of anything Martin Amis puts on paper; it's so syntactically dense and cratered with the oddest, inverted metaphors, that it's unreadable. However, I'll never take my eye away from the keyhole when there's a good literary spat kicking off, and when it's Amis with the gloves off, you know it's going to be good, zesty, and some choice cut vitriol thrown in.

A US friend sent me this link from the very cool online magazine - Spiked - which I think very elegantly summarises the latest feud / bout (delete as appropriate)

As a good Guardian reader, which is where a lot of the Amis / Eagleton flaming has happened, I've followed every twist and turn of this, that is I've followed the commentary, not the actual words for the reason just stated. And if that's to be believed, then what's he's saying has the ring of reason: not the individual, it's the ideology that hurts. I'm signed, sealed and delivered on that; I've always asserted that the three Abrahambic faiths have echoes of good sense until someone gets hold of them, codifies it all, and starts a discipline up, that's when it all gets way too messy.

So, Marty, you and I are singing from the same hymn book. but don't expect me to do so all the time, and as for buying one of your books...think again my London friend !

No comments: