Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Two comments that I've got memorialise here otherwise I'll forget them, or at best lose them in the thicket of daily life, and both are too good to let that happen.

"I go into the movie. I watch it, and I ask myself what happened to me" Fine, perceptive words written by that wonderful American film critic, Pauline Kael. Twenty odd years on, I can still recreate the frisson of excitement of buying an anthology of her film criticism from the old Athena bookshop in the Trocadero. It blew away me. She's still my favourite.

"...most good writers are also good talkers, writing nonetheless begins where writing ends - in silence" I've just read that apercu in an online edition of the New Yorker. Damn, it should be turned into a tee shirt slogan, or sprayed on walls. It's what happens. End of.

No comments: