Sunday, July 27, 2008

On the top of the bus shelter outside St Charles House tax office on Kensington High St, there are three sets of keys. I saw them from the top deck of the bus when it stopped to drop off some passengers. I've been thinking about them ever since.

Malice probably put them up there; the detritus of a handful of street robberies, contents shoveled out, money, cards kept, everything else dumped. Except throwing three sets of keys on to the roof of a bus shelter implies premeditation of a type. Bag snatches are usually opportunistic, frantic, the bag gutted on the run, contents tossed out confetti like, as the snatcher legs it (I know by the way, my briefcase got lifted magnificently last September).

This is different: someone has consciously decided to dump three sets of keys - from what I could make out they look like two sets of house keys and a set of car keys - in an almost inaccessible, and certainly not where you'd expect, area of a piece of very public street furniture. Who were they mad at and why? I'm so intrigued.

No comments: