Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Not sure I agree with your statement about an Aldi or Netto bag being fashionable though..." was the reply of a friend to something I wrote. But I think I'm might be proved right.

How long is it going to be before shopping at a value store becomes a 'fun thing' ? Be slumming for some; for others it'll be a middle class expression of discipline and frugality; but the hidden driver for many of the moody middle class is them simply struggling to keep a roof over their heads, and these stores sell cheap, value food.

Think about it. Not even a wounded Tiger is as desperate as someone clutching to their moody middle class lifestyle. They'll do anything to hide distress.

I'll put money on it - that is whatever there is left in my account after the shenanigans of the investment bankers have finished - that it'll be uber chic to be spotted on the high street with an Aldi or Netto carrier bag.

No comments: