Monday, January 12, 2009

I had to buy a new toothbrush this evening. Something with harder bristles than I'm used to, sturdy enough to scrape out the filaments of the raw meat I'd had for lunch and that had lodged like unwanted house-guests between my bared fangs. Been that kind of day at work, you see, when only raw meat would do me.

Buying it was easy; just a matter of picking something that look liked a miniaturised deck brush, pay the till, then go.

Leaving Boots I noticed one of the Beauticians studiously thumbing her way down a stock list. Tick off this, tick off that. She was very busy.

It's got to be a legacy of her job that she was doing this, quite unselfconsciously, with her face straight on to one of those mirrors that always, but always, explode every skin imperfection a million fold.

To me there is nothing more ego-depressing than facing up to the harsh truths of the mirror, and in the morning, it's even worse. Less a face, more a cracked paving stone.

But in their line of work, that must go straight of the window. It has to.

To end on a Sex in the City style note: can someone look in the mirror and no longer see them self ? Can you become invisible?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to indulge you in your Carrie Bradshaw moment....
I look in the mirror all the time (not in a vain way, just through necessity, brushing hair etc...)and I NEVER see me. How could I have changed so much? I used to be somebody well liked and fun to be with, but now I am old and desperately trying to keep fit, putting my body through various gym classes. Just accept your fate and thank god you still have teeth to brush. Ha Ha!!

Archimedes Principle said...

"How could I have changed so much?" I know what you mean. I look at photographs of me when I'd just moved to London in the early Eighties and it is as if I'm looking at someone else, someone completely unrelated to me. So strange.