Sunday, May 08, 2011

A fine mess is what we're in since the Lib-Dems slept with the enemy. That one night stand has left the UK in a perilous state constitutionally.

Thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of Scottish voters voted en masse for the SNP, to such a degree that they can now hold a referendum on Independence and ace it. As an ardent believer in the Union (in itself, somewhat of a curious, paradoxical statement, since I don't hold any particular love for the English; the paradox is that I was born and still live in England), this saddens me immeasurably, so much that I've been finding it difficult to sleep. I love the idea that we are a United Island, that we can live equitably and satisfactorily; that we are an exception to the rule, and yet it could all founder, this glorious, wonderful idea. I write here as someone who is a true Brit: English, Irish, Scotch and Welsh blood powers this heart.

The outcome should this happen frightens me in exactly the same way as it saddens me: the nation collapses, Scotland ends up a peripheral North Atlantic state, whilst England slips into the default state I've always felt exists at dangerously shallow depth: sullenness, grievance, inwardness, begrudgery, tribalism, and xenophobia.

To flame this miserable bonfire, not only will the nation crumble, the shared values incinerated, the English will end up being under the almost perpetual yoke of the Tories due to the absence of Scottish Labour MPs and the boundary changes the Tories are pushing through.

Tory dominance in perpetuity of a rump Serbia like England, the UK broken into bits, Scotland a minor player. This is the most disillusioned I've ever felt. I can't believe we could be but a few years away from this.

If only Clegg had n't been such a patsy, a wimp, a Trojan Horse for the Tories and fought the tories tooth and nail, and Ed Milliband too, why did n't he carry the cudgel into the Tories ? We would n't be left like this. A nation about to split apart.

No comments: