Thursday, April 12, 2007

Never going to grow any taller, this is the height I'm going to stay at; hair long ago packed up it's bags and shuffled away quietly; eyesight, probably my hearing too, are n't going to get any better either. So what's left to watch bloom and flourish? Anything? Normal starting point would be kids, except I don't have any. A garden, then? If I did n't live in a flat, maybe. So, what's left, what is there, to get entranced by?

Found something - words.

I like language, I like words particularly, grammar is good, can't ignore it, after all it's the Highway Code of the Communications road. It's the traffic this road carries I relish. Really, other than the previous candidates, there's nothing that can grow as quickly and deep root itself, nor can be as unruly and unpredictable, charming or, alternatively as clamorous, as a language's word store. It's unstoppable

Simply the fact that every language renews itself constantly, that there's change happening day in, day out; that it is constantly growing, stretching and flexing; that it takes advantages of all manner of twists and turns - technological, sociological, kid speak, sports, and so on, appeals to me. It's throwing up words the way magma is launched out of a volcano.

In some cases, I collect these words, log them. That's me: Archimedes the Word Collector, the Jargon Connoisseur, the Bon Mot (or not) Gourmand.

Rare a day goes by when I've not caught something. I collect them because they baffle me - what does that actually mean; at times, it's the sheer wackiness of it all; now and again, because of the word combinations; often, simply because they make sense, or give another illumination on a topic or concept.

This is a recent lava flow I slide into. Picked up during a few day's worth of conference calls, lifted from e-mail threads, or in a few instances, snippets from overheard conversations.

Methodology
Intimate enough with their operation
System freezes
Profile changes
Communication around the ticket
Sought relaxation
The edge cases
Forced manual process
Pinch point
Sensitive to the resources
What's the pain threshold?
Profile history
Leverage
(if there's ever a word that should be forcibly retired from the business lexicon, then here it is. Loath it)
Shrinkage
One truth dashboard
Quick fix
(another for Room 101)
Deep Dive
Glide path data
Strategic tool kit
Development environment
MLQ - most likely query
The happy path (
in business? This ?)

My weakness is that I'll use these the way you'd toss confetti outside a Church, recklessly and wantonly, and probably with some uncertainty in a couple of cases. Not sure what they mean, but the beauty, the sheer novelty is captivating.

No comments: