Thursday, February 14, 2008

One lady on the bus this evening was clearly in demand: two bunches of flowers, beautifully and individually wrapped, and each a different arrangement. It certainly sharpened your profile, I caught more than one woman casting a glance at you. Caused quite a stir in a silent way.

Valentine's Day has an effect far beyond it's temporal twenty-four hours, so I'd imagine there was a cavalcade of emotions whirling around you summoned up by those slyly looking at you; from envy to jealousy through to "good on you girl" approbation, and then on to the plaintive "why can't it be me" and somewhere in all of it that old faithful, the "wonder what I'll get?"

I could n't (I can't is a more honest expression because I'm now writing about it) help but wonder who sent them: husband or boyfriend, both? Husband or boyfriend and something from one of your kids - though you did n't look old enough to have had kids who would understand what today signifies or supposed to, unless the husband / boyfriend bought them and sent them on behalf of child (complicated, but it must happen); or did you buy one or both yourself to simulate adorabability ? Or from two mystery men ? So many questions. Christ, is n't Valentine's Day complicated?

No comments: