Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The ease that some people have with words has to be celebrated.

The ability to conjure a prose poem out of the simplest of language is something I yearn for. Where every word has the correct ballast and the phrase sits in the water beautifully like the swan in a fairy tale.

Someone I know wrote the most sensual of words I've come across in months, maybe years, and I have to share it.

"The pasta is just there to hold the tomatoes, the Basil is just there to powerfully accent it, the olive oil cloaks it in loveliness, and the salt and pepper just give it the little kick in the pants the tomatoes love to reach their full glory"

There's a joy in this sentence that actually makes me want to eat it and as it's from a recipe then I probably will. There's no head strutting, no competition between any of the words - they all marvellously 'fit'.

I love that image of tomatoes being cloaked in their loveliness by olive oil; it's so unexpected, so memorable, and so apt. I can see the sheen of oil on the skin of the tomato even with my eyes tightly closed. I ran into this delightful sentence catching up on some of the recent items posted on Lazywoman.

I struggle with words, I know I do, I recognise it just as I recognise when I'm in the presence of someone who has the gift and can make them whisper and dance. And that's Lazywoman to a tee. A great writer.

No comments: