Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I was thinking this afternoon what musical genre my style of work might be. Looking at all the evidence - my work day modus operandi in effect -and then weighing it fairly, I settled on Jazz.

My M.O. has all the recognisable jazz signs. It's free-form. Reliant on improvisation. Full of random tootlings, then sudden pauses. Lots of shrieking horns. Odd drum patterns. A moody double bass somewhere in the background.

It's often atonal. Plenty of blue notes. A different relationship to time. Loosely structured. Sometimes the chord progressions don't follow in an exact sequence. It's all in there.

Still I could have had a heavy metal style, thrashing through work, amp up to 11, or maybe it might have been pure country, kicking back on the rocking chair and drinking the afternoon away

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least it is not Punk. Jumping up and down, screaming at the top of your voice and swearing at people.

M.