Friday, August 03, 2007

I thought had minted a new expression a couple of days ago. Hubris. Soon found out someone had beaten me to the clock. There's nothing new under the Sun so why I thought I had is a mystery, but anyway I had.

Interesting image Under the Sun, implying all that is known, as been thought of, created, constructed...but shouldn't it be under Google now? If not found there, ergo not likely to exist. In Google, we all seem to be trusting.

The name itself has additional meaning above and beyond the simple brand: verb - I'm googling; statement of fact, if it's in there then it's a hard, full-faced fact- yes, in Google, just checked; question implying something needs substantiation - have you googled it?

And the handcrafted piece I'd thought I'd carved out of virgin territory? What was it and what did I do to it? Iceberg Statement, that's what it was. You know the thing about Icebergs being 10% above the surface and the rest below the waterline. I've often noticed these appear in a conversation, especially those travelling across rocky emotions; someone hints at something greater, more burdensome, a secret regret perhaps, or a wistful, yet time expired hope that can't be shrugged off. And I thought my freshly stamped remark, new to the world and in my eyes still connected to me umbilically, would carry. Lofty eh, pretentious...oh I'd say so.

Google for reassurance that it really is my baby...and it's already there....zillions of pages. It was a bit far-fetched looking back to think I really had come up with a new expression based on something so widely known and metaphorically rich as an iceberg. Good feeling though

No comments: