Monday, February 02, 2009

An Italian Philosopher, I was told last week, once said there will be no improvement between the classes until the rich know 1000 words and the poor only 100.

I've no idea of what context this statement floats in; whether it's from a "right on" philosopher, or from a "right off" one; nor how much subtlety has been lost in translation. I don't even know the sex let alone the name of this person.

All of these considerations are dangers and I accept the inherent risks even if I don't properly know the origins of this statement, but I trust the person who mentioned it, and that's the provenance enough.

A 1,000 words for the rich, but which ones can we trust them with? Free-market maybe, or self-regulating ? Investment Banking ? Compound phrases on the " we know best....yes we do" theme?

1,000 self-selected words might be too many and too dangerous. Whilst 100 is nowhere near enough for anyone. Rebalancing needed.

No comments: