Saturday, June 24, 2006

Everything is a case of pros and cons, always got to be some give and take. For instance, I love the part of London where I live - it's bohemian, cosmopolitan, sleek and smooth in places, rafffish and edgy in others. Fundamentally, I look at it as culturally motivating. That's the side of the stone that faces the sun; if I flip it over, then I have to look at exactly where I live. My flat.

Small? Depends, really. For a Hobbit, ideal. A Middle Earth masterpiece. For a human, more challenging. It's trying to find furniture and appliances to fit the spaces I've got that's the problem.

Everything I've got is a couple centimetres less in some dimension than the standard factory product. For instance, the average cooker size is, say 80 centrimetres wide; mine is 79 centrimetres, since that's all the space I've got.

Try finding a cooker that size, or for that matter, a sofa, which is what I'm searching for right now. It's got to be a certain size, and no more. Naturally that certain size is less than industry standard.

After a while, sitting on the floor does n't mean anything any more; it's the norm. I don't want to get habituated to this, though. Sitting on the office floor, trying to master mind a conference call, is n't a career progressor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'd think that with the size of your average two up two down or city apartment, there would be more choice, wouldn't you?