Monday, May 12, 2008

IQ tests. If I took one, I'd fail it. I know that. So I don't bother.

And anyway, what would it show other than I can't do standardised IQ tests. Important to some people maybe, not to me though. My fire has other irons: my forte, my strength as it were is raw abstract thinking. As some men excel at arm wrestling, or chess, or changing a tyre on the hard shoulder, pure, focused tasks, this is mine: thinking around the edges, putting it all into perspective, contextualising, that's where I step in.

So I can't change a tyre on the hard shoulder (not that I've actually had to)...but find me anyone else who can come up with reasons why the tyre blew in the first place, and not just first level thinking (it was a nail), but below that to the sub-levels (poorly made tyre, quality of rubber these days, but that nail, how sharp, and is n't that craftmanship, eh). That's the kind of finessed thinking I'm talking about.

An over developed capacity for abstract thinking, so what. Believe me I can weave a spider's web of connections, allusions, inferences, associations, a twinkling nervous system of ideas in minutes. Just now for someone to fall into that spider's web, adore it for what it is, be delightedly enwrapped by it all, this thicket of intellectualism I can spin, and ignore the facts of Archimedes's unorthodox looks.

No comments: