Tuesday, May 13, 2008

We are complex, we humans, capable of holding contrasting ideas that if they were expressed on the page would surely seem irreconcilable, science and faith, the obvious candidates here. Nevertheless, this is what we are capable of us and what I aver makes us 'us'. It's the "je ne sais quoi" that as far as we are aware no other discovered species has, which is the ability to handle contradictory thoughts concurrently, and still be able to walk in a straight line.

So as a man of the enlightenment and devotee of rationalism, I can still admit a penchant for horoscopes. Check mine every day, usually online, and in whatever freebie paper I've found strewn across the tube carriage.

I'm an Earth sign, Capricorn in fact; the characteristics of this piece of astrological grit are those of being mean, moody, miserable, and magnificent, on occasions all at the same time (not done that yet, but stil trying, don't write it off).

Capricorns must challenge boundaries and break out confines, or that's what we Goats have pumped at us. Today I did; moved straight out of the comfort zone, through untrodden pastures, broke new ground, terra incognita. I went to Kilburn.

It has been many years since I walked along Kilburn High Road. A well 'ard place, full of street-life, raw, with no doubt plenty of draw hidden away. Lots of men in vests, unshaven, not doing too much, a touch edgy at time, but I've not wandered into such a bustling, vibrant, deliciously aromatic area in ages (where I live is, but I'm part of it and can't stand outside and look in), and what I love more than anything else about London, a true United Nations sensibility. Roll on, Kilburn.

No comments: