Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Some words can fall out of the tree and land fully formed as stunning phrases. I run around collecting these whenever I found them. Notebooks full of them and a flat full of notebooks, it's that sort of thing.

I opened one of them a moment or so ago, and a liberated phrase flew straight out to dazzle me. A Bob Dylan humdinger; in one of his Theme Time Radio Hour programmes, in his oaked, smoked, throaty sing-song growl he let loose this "...refuse to concur, conform or submit". Whether there was a "we should..." in front or even behind I've no memory. I cannot remember the context at all, maybe it was a commandment, or an admonition, or said light-heartedly, but it's that easy facility with words that has me awestruck. Again and again. It's anyone who has that gift of assembly, who can pick and choose words out of the mixed gravel of language and make 'em sing.

No comments: