Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Jeremiah card is n't one I normally play anywhere, in my external life, or here in blogland; still, it's going to be difficult not to today. The sense I'm getting is that the Evening Standard candidate for the London Mayoral elections is leading the pack, and that I don't think bodes well should he break the winner's tape before anyone else.

A charming, professional near bungler, he may be, and graced with an easy touch for a classical Greek bon mot, attributes amongst others that make him endearing to...some. The clunky pause in that last sentence points out that I don't.

London is too big a deal to be run by someone whose judgement in public is suspect: remember the "watermelon" gibe, or then there's the poke at Liverpool ? Politics is I understand the art of appealing to everyone, nevertheless true blue that he is, he's a keen one for derision, the fellow sentiment of exclusion and finger-pointing; less inclusion, more exclusion.

I have this notion that should he get in power and have the Mayoral ermine wrapped around his shoulders that even the Tories themselves will be sweating privately at just what this unguided missile may do for them. Ok he'll gain them kudos (provided he gets in), but then what comes under scrutiny is him, ergo them. I'd not be too unsurprised if he becomes their George Bush - a figurehead whilst scurrying in the shadows trying to make it all happen are the Tory party's Dick Cheneys.

Interesting times as the Chinese say.

No comments: